Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Emergency Prep

I have really been feeling that need to get things in order. If I were expecting it would probably be called nesting but Matt says I'm always nesting. We had seriously depleted my stock piles in preperation for our over-seas move. When that got changed I felt very strong impressions that emergency preparedness needed to take center stage again. This has been reaffirmed by the talks and council that we have been receiving in General Conference and from our Stake. I have also felt that need to get things other than food in order. I know that for the longest time I was always trying to get food in order but I have greatly broadened my horizons. I have had a weekly focus on what to add to our supplies. So far I've done sterile gloves (Costco has a coupon for them this month), Bleach, laundry detergent (another Costco Coupon) and TP. I never had really thought of TP but boy I would hate to be without it for a while if we were restricted to our home for a long period of time!

We have some amazing men and women in our area when it comes to this stuff. We live in an area that is still remote and can easily be cut off. If Seattle shipping shuts down for some reason we get cut-off from food and other items. I try to pick their brains as much as possible and want to pass on a bit of what is shared with us. You'll now find a little side bar with my weekly goal and Web-sites that offer some great items for emergency preparedness. This will hopefully help me stay on track and accomplish what I say I want to do.

3 comments:

NicKim Family said...

That is so great!! I wish we had just a little more space for more things...I've been doing the most with what we have, but I want to do more so badly! I'll watch what you do and see if it's something I can manage or modify.

twoplustwins said...

Catherine,
I am so glad you are doing this. as I was reading your blog I was thinking man she needs to share with us what she is doing each week. I am excited and am going to try and follow what you are doing...nothing like trying to keep up with the Mowers! Thanks again. I will give you a call soon and pick your brain. I have been working really hard to find ways to store water because of you!
~Kim

Jennifer Bundy said...

I keep thinking about this too! We have been working on it here and there as well. Some of the things that I focus on- wipes, diapers, additional heat source (kerosene heater with kerosene), batteries, wind up flashlights, oil lamps, blankets, 72 hour kits.. and the list goes on!