Sunday, November 1, 2009

Kitchen

When we bought our home it had been a rental for 5 years. We got a deal but along with that came the need to make some cosmetic changes. These "cosmetic" changes have really added up to be a lot of work. Our last one has now been done twice but I really should have broken down and did it the first time around. A NEW kitchen.

Kitchen #1 Day we moved in. It's really too bad that you can't see the microwave stand monstrosity from this angle.

Kitchen #2 I did what I could...


We started the process in May by ordering new cabinets. First of June we ordered the counter tops, with the delivery of the cabinets due the first of July. They came the first of July and Dad Mower spent some of his Alaskan vacation taking out our old cabinets and organizing the new ones. For those who have done any major remodel you will realize that things were going way to smoothly! About half of the cupboards needed to be reordered because of damage. What took 4 weeks to get the first time took 10 weeks the second time. Home Depot is no longer getting our business until further notice. I am not going to go on about the un-returned calls or the fact that it took them 2 weeks to actually re-order our cabinets. Enough on that... Our counter top guy was awesome. After having to reschedule 2 times he came and installed the very next Tuesday. The most awesome installer we had was named Matt Mower, he stayed up till 3am putting in cabinets so the counter tops could be put in. The counter - top guy even commented on how level the cabinets were.

The best part was we threw our annual Halloween party for the neighbors and Sophie was making cookies at the same time I was preparing the dinner in a pumpkin. And I wasn't completely stressed out about having people in my way. Completely impossible before. I've tripled by shelf space ( I still have empty cabinets) and my counter top work space has tripled. The only change we made was that we had to add 3 inches to the end of the wall due to measuring error.
Kitchen # 3
Now for all the fun little "perks"!

I now have this little space to "decorate" a little. It doesn't have to be used to store anything practical!

8 comments:

Michelle S.J. said...

I love, love, love it. It looks so good. One room at a time baby.

twoplustwins said...

WOW Catherine,
I LOVE it. I was just thinking of you this morning and wondering if you had gotten things done with the kitchen, it was great to see the pictures. It is incredible and I LOVE the drawers, that is so cool how the silverware drawer has two layers. I now have kitchen envy (which isn't hard to have when you live here...you will see!) Great work Matt on the cupboards.

NicKim Family said...

Wow, I totally love it!!! It is so pretty now, I love the cabinets - totally something I would choose! Job well done!!!

Stephanie B said...

That kitchen is amazing! Good job.

Annie said...

Matt and Cat I love it!!! I can only imagine how happy you are to not only have it done but now there's room to have people help you cook.

henleyfamily said...

It is beautiful!!!!! We also bought an older home and were able to completely re-do the kitchen. It's my favorite part of the house. Wonderful job!!!! I bet some wonderful meals get made in there.

Andrea said...

Woohoo - you have been busy! It looks wonderful. Want to come over and do mine? lol

Bert Mills said...

WOW! That is amazing. It looks so nice. Great job Mower Remodeling Crew. Come on down anytime and I'm sure I'll have a project of too for you. :-) Enjoy your beautiful kitchen. I love it. - Laura