Thursday, February 28, 2008

Wow, Time Flies

It is so crazy how fast time is flying by. I can't believe that in two more days we will be in March. We've been busy with all the normal things of life. I played in an annual snowshoe softball tournament in anchorage that is just crazy. You wear these old tennis rackets and try and play normal softball. Luckily it was about 25 degrees, which actually allowed me to take off a glove in order to throw the ball. I keep thinking that only here would 18 teams of 12 people put these things on and torture themselves for two days and actually enjoy it. In one of our games two people scored and the batter got a triple off of a hit to the pitcher. The bright orange ball got lost in the snow and there were three people searching for it.
The kids came out and saw the sled dog races that go right by the softball fields. It is always so fun to watch these dogs run. I always have to wonder if any of these animal rights people who think these dogs are being abused have not seen them at the start or during a race. These dogs are so excited to run and they are going just crazy wanting to get going. It is all the people can do to hold them back until it is their turn. It is really cool to see. They had a juniors race of 5-12 year olds and now the kids have a new things they want to do in life! The only problem is that I am not adding a dog to this household!

They breed dogs with certain traits that make them better race dogs. I think these ones were bred with extra long tongues!
At the end of the day. The lady in the funky cowboy hat is just a little taste of some of the costumes people wear. Donald Duck even made and appearance. I would also like to add that I have several, several layers on!:)
The great snowshoes, left over from world war two. These are what we use to play in.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

twoplustwins said...

Catherine,
I couldn't help but smile...it is SO great that you get to go out and play. Though I don't know anyone who would play in 25 degree weather, the snow and in snow shoes no less :o)! What a great gal, if only we were all as ambitious as you! It really does look like a ball and I bet it is a glimpse of spring for you. I love the picture of the dog races. It makes me wish I was coming now just so I could see all the great winter stuff you do. But I am not complaining May will be great and I am SOOO excited!
Kim C

The Kay Family said...

Good for you, Cat!! I LOVED all the pictures! It would be a wild experience even being on those old snowshoes, but to try and play a real game, now THAT would be wild!! I love your updates.

Bowles said...

Awesome way to get to play in the snow. I would do it too. It sounds like its a fun and interesting way to play. I am glad you get to do it.
Have an excellent day!