Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Only boys can get their hair cut here"


I haven't cut Benjamin's hair in a while because the only thing I can do is shave it really short and I just couldn't do that. I also wanted to see what it was like longer. It is very thick and has a wave. It was finally so out of control that we took him in to the barber. Now Hilda's Barber shop has probably been cutting hair there for 40 years and the same people. Walking by one afternoon we peaked in and there is every animal in Alaska stuffed and hanging up. There is even a Jack-a-lope. The men were sitting around reading papers and shooting the breeze. I was taken back about 40 years. Anyway, Benjamin decided this was were we should go. It was a "boys only" hair place. As we arrived Benjamin looked at me and seriously says," Mom, you and Josette can't go in there. It is only for boys." I then had to convince him that it was ok for girls to go in there. So he sat very still and got a great hair cut. But those ol'time barber prices didn't hold true, $16 for a little boy! They kept calling us the rich family because they found out we had a kid with braces and only rich kids got braces, so I probably got nailed. The woman was using a cell phone, I thought she would be up with the times a bit and know that families that have kids with braces aren't rich because it's all in their kids mouth! Ooh well it was a fun 1 time experience and the bummer is, it was a fun place hanging out with all the ol'timers.


Here is also the requested video of Josette toddling. No, we don't have a dog, the panting noise you hear is Josette. You also see a bit of the trail of destruction J. leaves all over.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

Yeah - she's walking! The room looks great. Even with the trail of destruction. :0) I love how happy you look when she lands in your arms. Warms a mothers heart.

j said...

look at her toddling about! :) so cute!!!
what a perfect description of an alaskan barbershop. :) or alaskan shop, period. i have seen more stuffed animals lately...
haircuts are such a rip-off for boys! i let k's grow and got him trimmed at the base shop, but it was $12! so next time, it's mommy and the clippers again. :)

henleyfamily said...

Oh my gosh she is SO cute!!! Seeing you guys in action made me MISS you soooo much! When will you be visiting Pullman?!!! :)

NicKim Family said...

Holy cow, that video was the cutest thing! It made me so happy to watch it, seriously, big smile!! I can't wait to show Lucy her cousin walking tomorrow.

Dawn W said...

Cutting hair myself, your barbershop story cracks me up. Too bad they thought you were such a rich family, with braces and all, and they tripled their charge - it would have been fun to frequent a manly shop. :)

Annie said...

Oh man I just want to hug her. I can't believe the last time I saw her she was in the hospital. But not for long :-)

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

Way cute! I can't believe they are so big!Wow!

Smedley Family said...

did you get in at Junior Nordic? I picked up their skis and boots this weekend, and the girls are SO excited to start tomorrow. Hope it all worked out so your kids can go!

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

Hey Mowers, stumbled into your fun blog. We sure miss Alaska.

Can I add you to my blog roll? It would be fun to keep in touch.