I haven't written in a while and it's mainly because I'm in this horrible funk. Summer just isn't visiting us this year. It has been termed the summer that never was. And for those of you thinking that it's only the first part of July...our fall begins in August! We've gotten maybe a handful of really sunny days and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. It is just so strange, we usually have spectacular summers. I was even grumpy about going on a hike with the kids and achievement day girls. Of course once we got up there I momentarily forgot about the grey clouds and just enjoyed the breath taking beauty of the mountain pass. I just hope that this means it will be a totally awesome August. I must also add that this funk is probably helped along by the lack of sleep I get at night. This little girl of hours just can't sleep longer than a 4 hour stretch. Aah, well someday, I will look back and miss those sleep deprived times and wish for them back, when at least I knew exactly where my kids where!
On a completely different note we had a great visit from Matt's sister and her family. It was fun to be around cousins. We have never really had that since our kids are the oldest of the bunch and when others came along we moved to the North. I still feel very lucky to have married into a great family and born into a great family. It does make me wish we were a little closer, especially since it doesn't look like we can convince everybody to move up here.
I've been taking lots of flower pictures lately and here are a few. We have so many wild flowers everywhere it's crazy. And since I don't know what order the pictures are in. The bucket with Pop for a $1 and the creek was taken at a mine in Girdwood. You really put your dollar in the pail and picked your pop from the creek. There is no electricity thus the creek is the refrigerator.
Lemon Pepper Salmon & Loaded Sweet Potato
2 weeks ago

6 comments:
Catherine,
I am so sorry the summer has not been all that it could have been for you guys! That has to be really hard. I love the pictures of the flowers! I have been picking wild flower around here and hanging them up to dry. It adds something pretty to the house and I enjoy the colors. I hope you get some nice days soon and can enjoy them!
the soda bucket made me smile. NOWHERE but Alaska could you do that and trust that it would probably work!
As we were driving around town today, Trav thought he saw you guys. I had to convince him that you were still in Alaska and not on the East coast. He said, "How do you know." I simply said, "Because I read their blog!"
Just think HAWAII...a beach and sun will be here in no time.
And hey you have convinced me to move there sadly, I just don't know when that is going to happen.
So the forecast is some sunny weather soon. Yeah - I think I might piddle in my pants I am so excited (wellll not realllly)! But I look forward to a few days of relief. By the way, the fireweed has just come out and was starting to flower when I was in Kenai. Watch the flowers, when they cotton up and the cotton gets to the top, that's it - summer is over. The late blooms on the fireweed tell me we should have a longer summer. That doesn't mean it will be full of sunshine but at least it will be a longer summer!
I agree! What is up with our summer! We will all have to leave to get some real sun, but oh wait... that costs money. I guess we'll have to get sun in other methods. Like pictures?
Post a Comment